Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A Question in Search of Your Answer

Here is the question.

We all want the best education for our kids, and all kids learn best in different environments. I am very, very pleased with Springfield Local Schools, where my two children are (or will be, in the case of my daughter who is turning 5) enrolled. I am a strong advocate for traditional public schools.

However, I am interested in schools such as "The Autism Academy of Toledo" which just had its second graduate. If my child had autism, I would look at this school. I talked recently with a teacher at a traditional public school (not Springfield), and she said that an autistic child could learn as well at a traditional school. I also know of an autistic child who is being educated at Springfield, and he has a paraprofessional that travels with him, and he seems to do well enough... I just don't know enough about all of this to have an informed opinion and I want to hear from the public. What do you know, what have you seen, what do you think? Please write... I'm listening.

4 comments:

Roland Hansen said...

I am somewhat familiar with both sides of this coin. The Autism Academy concept is specialized to the extent that the students receive the maximum attention needed for their education with an entire educational community in concert with acompanying stakeholders all of whom are dedicated to the students. Some folks put forward that schools such as the Autism Academy do not provide full socialization opportunities for the students. Others say that socialization opportunities may be obtained through other avenues.
On the other hand, mainstreaming the students into the traditional public school provides not only needed education but also socialization opportunities albeit at greater expense due to the additional ancillary services and personnel that are required.
There is the matter of personal preference for the students and their families, both autism and non-autism. And, there is the consideration of cost-efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
Having been personally involved in this issue in the past and having personal knowledge and experience with many of the stakeholders, it is my belief that many of the parents of the autistic student strongly favor the charter community school concept while others favor the traditional public school.
While the teacher with whom you have spoke may be correct that the autistic student could learn as well at a traditional public school, that is not always the case in that each school district may have a different level of support services available to special needs students. Additionally, there are teachers in the traditional public schools who assert that they cannot be all things to all persons at all times.

Angela Wallington Zimmann, Ph.D. said...

Thanks for your insight, Roland. I guess it comes down to the fact that there are no absolutes, and what works for one kid may not work for another, and options are, for the most part, a good thing.

Robin said...

I could give you my view on public education and students who are affected with Autism, but I'd rather not in a public forum.

Angela Wallington Zimmann, Ph.D. said...

Robin, thanks for emailing me - your insight is appreciated and I respect your privacy!