Tuesday, October 26, 2010

An invitation to civic (and civil!) dialogue

I took a temporary leave-of-absence from my blog, but at the request of a few people, I am back. One of my campaign promises was to work to increase public awareness of the Lucas County ESC, and this blog, which I kept for over two years, was a manifestation of that promise. I intend to continue that public presence now, but with a twist: rather than simply posting on our happenings, I would like to invite questions to perhaps better assist the constituents I serve. Therefore, I ask you to ask away: What do you want to know about public education in Ohio? Charter schools? School funding? Academic requirements? The role of the ESC? Please know that I will do my best to research and answer your questions, although these are my personal answers, and certainly do not represent the opinions of the members of the Board or of the employees of the ESC in any way, unless directly specified. I look forward to a lively discussion in the months ahead!

4 comments:

Roland Hansen said...

My question of the day (and for the past several years):
Why doesn't the LCESC use its website to post Board meeting announcements with time, location and agenda, along with minutes of previous board meetings and monthly financial reports?

A follow-up question:
Will you advocate for the implementation of the above?

Angela Wallington Zimmann, Ph.D. said...

Roland, I imagine (and I say imagine, because again, this is my viewpoint) that the answer to the first question is that there is no full-time web-person at the ESC; our site is much more static than dynamic, which may be a positive or a negative, but is definitely a reality. This does not mean that items cannot be posted; they certainly can be. The schedule of the meetings, at least, should be a fairly easy item to post - could be posted in January, with dates for the whole year (subject to change).
The answer to the second question is yes. I will look into this. FYI, ALL meetings are now being held at the Collingwood Center in the new conference room.

Judy said...

OK, upfront I am just sayin......You are being handed the same load of bull I was for my 12 years on the board. Sandy had us hire a techno person, she was to be the answer to all the problems. Well, we found out she created more than she helped and Sandy got rid of her and the position as well. I had found mistakes on the website and brought them to Sandy's attention. More coverups by Sandy and nothing was done. The ESC needs to step up its Website, shame on the board for letting this go on this long. You are in the leadership role, so therefore I'm directing this at you, take charge of the situation and help make the ESC website the best it can be, current and up-to-date!

Angela Wallington Zimmann, Ph.D. said...

Judy, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate hearing from you. Hope all is well.